Tuesday, June 8, 2010

it changes everything.

So I finished my 50 day Bible study, "Jubilee" and I've got to say that the past 50 days really HAVE brought about spiritual renewal!


God took the study and my life circumstances, and caused them to align PERFECTLY. Whether the focus for the week was Redemption, Forgiveness, Healing, Sabbath, Justice or Proclamation, I can't explain how each of those topics and verses and studies came at the exact time when I needed to be refreshed, challenged or comforted.

Wow.

I was looking for a new book and stumbled on this one called "Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God" by a pastor by the name of Francis Chan. Must be good if its by a Chan right? :)

But theres a few lines in the blurb that caught my eye, and I really want to read and reflect on what this pastor has to say;

"God is calling you to a passionate love relationship with Himself. Because the answer to religious complacency isn’t working harder at a list of do’s and don’ts—it’s falling in love with God. And once you encounter His love, as Francis describes it, you will never be the same. Because when you’re wildly in love with someone, it changes everything."


Even though God has really shown that He is a living and responsive God these past weeks, I constantly find that my actions aren't pleasing to Him.


And I've been asking myself, "WHY am I doing this.. WHY did I say that... WHY am I thinking that?"
And I've come to the conclusion that I've somewhat lost the spirit of thanksgiving and humility that we should have, knowing who the Creator is, and the incredible sacrifice and love that He's shown to you and me.


At the very root of it, is that I'm not wildly in love with God. Many areas of my life are still dominated by self-interest! 


I can understand why 'when you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything' - from a human perspective, when a husband and wife, or even girlfriend and boyfriend love one another - their lives completely change! 


Their entire schedules get altered to spend as much time as possible with one another. They constantly talk, and give to one another and have each other in their thoughts.


And for a God that has loved us infinitely more, He is someone I need to strive to be with, and someone that I need to be willing to flip head over heels in love with. I want to experience and respond to this love that changes everything.


I'll have to hit up Koorong or Word this week anyway, because Josh, Jeff and Jesse are getting baptised.
Words can't even express the joy that comes from knowing this - I'm so excited for these three young men of God :)

No comments: